Early this morning, Yonder Alonso tweeted “Ones a cheater always a cheater!!!” I thought that was an interesting thing to tweet, so I responded, as you can see above. I didn’t get a response.
I thought it was a weird thing to tweet since his Miami teammate, and current Padres teammate Yasmani Grandal was recently suspended from MLB for cheating. I don’t know either of them personally. I know they’re both Cuban and they both play baseball. Can I, in good conscience, make the jump that Yonder is talking about Yasmani when he says, “Once* a cheater always a cheater!!!“? Of course not. Nobody can.
Are they buddies? I don’t know. I think people assume they are because they’re both Cuban, they went to college together, and they play professionally together. Buddies enough for Yonder to throw pie in Yasmani’s face…
However, like I said… I can’t jump to conclusions, so I will present to you the facts.
- Yasmani was suspended 50 games in November 2012 for using PEDs.
- Yasmani released a statement: “I am responsible for what I put into my body. I must accept responsibility for my actions and serve my suspension.”
- We haven’t heard from Yasmani Grandal on twitter since October.
- Today, January 3rd, 2012, Yonder tweeted, “Once* a cheater always a cheater!!!“
- I asked Yonder if he was referring to anyone in particular.
- I got no response from Yonder.
- Yonder deleted the tweet.
That’s all I’ve got. Maybe it has nothing to do with Yasmani at all? But why delete the tweet instead of just clarifying that you were talking about, say… a chess or a checkers match? I don’t know either. I’ll let you know if I hear back from Yonder or Yasmani.